Plantar uma Árvore – Sintra
P1A is an association that develops a volunteer program for the restoration of ecologically degraded areas through the restoration of native forests involving the community
Lisboa, Sintra-Cascais Natural-Park.
Principal mountain range in the Lisbon region which provides climate protection from coastal conditions. It is also significant due to its functions in terms of conservation of natural resources, leisure, and nature tourism in the outskirts of the capital. It features unique climate conditions in the central region, similar to those found in mountain oaklands in the north coast of Portugal. Sintra- Cascais is currently threatened by a high density of invasive species, introduced over the last years, in a misguided effort to quickly repopulate the mountain range. Actions mostly take place in sections of the park that are open to the public.
- Field work activities such as removal of invasive species, plantations, and promotion of native vegetation;
- Natural engineering work along water lines;
- Management of walking trails;
- Raising awareness among tourists, small landowners, and local entities;
- Coordination of field activities with other volunteers.
The volunteering period can be undertaken from two months to one year.
With the support of the LIFE Volunteer Escapes project, Plantar Uma Árvore will deploy volunteers registered on the European Solidarity Corps (ESC) platform:
- Guidance by a specific supervisor, designated in the volunteering agreement;
- Theoretical and practical instruction of the tasks to be performed;
- Compulsory insurance provided;
- In terms of accommodation and food allowance, the volunteer will receive up to 20 EUR per volunteering day, which should meet the basic needs of accommodation;
- Reimbursement of travel expenses from place of residence to hosting organisation (away and return per volunteer per volunteering period), in accordance with the thresholds set by the ESC:
- 10 to 99 km: up to 20 EUR;
- 100 to 499 km: up to 180 EUR;
- 500 to 1999 km: up to 275 EUR;
- 2000 to 2999 km: up to 360 EUR.